First what is your video thumbnail? It’s the small picture or icon people see when looking at lists of videos and deciding whether to watch or not. Once they click on the icon the first frame of your video will be visible, not the thumbnail.
So why is the thumbnail important?
Well, basically it’s the cover to your book. Okay, better analogy. It’s your DVD cover. It’s what draws people in.
What does it need? It needs a nice glossy still and some text letting people know what the video is all about.
You’re on board? Great! So now here’s the steps you need to take in order to change your thumbnail.
1. Get a thumbnail design that matches the size of your video and is less than 2MB. Make sure it is bright and contains text that highlights the video content. For a simple DIY video that shows you how to do this CLICK HERE.
2. Open your YouTube account.
3. Go to Video Manager.
4. Find your video and click on EDIT.
5. Under Info and Settings, the first page of EDIT, click on CUSTOM THUMBNAIL. You will find this to the right of the video image.
6. Upload your custom thumbnail.
7. Voila! It takes anywhere from 24 to 48 hours for YouTube to make sure that thumbnail is visible across all its platforms. So hold tight!
8. Once your thumbnail is visible across all platforms, share your video! (You can check to see if the new thumbnail is ready by looking at your Video Manager. If it has changed on the Video Manager it’s ready.
Enjoy your new glossy video thumbnail!